Friday, July 12, 2013

Untwining the vine

Have you ever untwined a Morning Glory vine? I just did. It had wound its way up to the top of that black iron railing and was then waving in the air going 'where to now?' Meanwhile I went to an outdoor flea market and found this tuteur thingy. It's so tall I couldn't get it all in the photo. It has a fleur-de-lis at the top but you'll have to take my word on that. I thought it would be perfect for the morning glory but of course never considered how I would actually get it in there. There was only one answer: untwine the vine. That was no fun. But I did get it in the tuteur. Where it immediately started pouting. There's a lot of that going on in my garden. 

The good thing is I got one blue bloom before the untwining began. I'll hope for more.

9 comments:

Layanee said...

That morning glory really should thank you. It has a much more glorious home now. I wish you many, many more blooms once the pouting ends.

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Lostroses,
I love your tuteur thingy...I have never untwined a morning glory....sounds like a big pain in the posterior region...but I bet it will be great on your tuteur thingy!

LostRoses said...

Layanee, I have notoriously bad luck with Heavenly Blue - they always turn out purple. I'm thinking this tuteur will inspire them to stay blue!

Zoey, yes it was a pain, but I was determined. The lengths we go to...!

Country Mouse said...

Gosh - you are really diligent. We have wild western morning glory and I just hacked it all down recently as it was totally engulfing the toyon shrub and looking all grey and crusty. It will come back - boy those vine stems were really thick and ropy though. I felt sorry for it but - there was no way that baby was going to untwine!

LostRoses said...

Grey and crusty deserves to be hacked down! Bindweed is always trying to come up in my beds, I hate it and yank it often, but not often enough!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure I would break the vine if I tried to unwind a morning glory. I like your tuteur, I find it difficult to get tutuers that are really tall enough.

LostRoses said...

Garden, I was prepared for losing my balance and ripping the whole thing out of the ground but for some reason all went well. Not sure even this one will be tall enough but it's higher than that railing!

Shirley said...

You have a very entertaining way of sharing your gardening experiences! I actually really like the tuteur thingy! I hope your morning glory will too.

LostRoses said...

Shirley, it climbed to the top in no time and there was a bloom today - hooray!