Saturday, September 02, 2006

BIRDS OF A FEATHER


When you walk in my front door birds chirp. Not real ones. There are an assortment of wooden and mechanical birds on the divider between the hallway and the living room, and some of them have motion sensors which make the birds chirp as you pass by. Some people think it's really annoying but I like it.


I don't get any chirping from these birds. This was a whirligig on a post but the post would never stand up straight so I moved it under a small Flowering Almond tree. Now the branches hold it up and it looks like a Western Tanager and a Mountain Bluebird or two stopped by for a rest.

Speaking of birds, I just finished "Brief encounters with Che Guevara" by Ben Fountain. It's a collection of short stories about Americans doing good and not-so-good in third-world countries. I really enjoyed it, especially the first story about an ornithologist who gets captured by guerilla rebels in a Colombian rain forest. All the stories were fascinating, some were wickedly funny, and all were thought-provoking. This was a good read.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I love your post about birds and feathers. And nice photos too. I am starting to get how hard it is to take good photos. Andee

LostRoses said...

Andee, your photos are wonderful! I thing you've got the hang of it.

La Gringa said...

I'm so glad you brought up birds so I can finally talk about the magpie jay that you mentioned on my blog. I didn't know what it was when you mentioned it until I finally saw a picture in my bird book.

I have had that bird in my garden twice! It was a couple of years ago. They aren't supposed to be in this area according to my book. It was the most spectacular bird I've ever seen. It's tail must have been over a foot long. Oh, I wish it would come back!

LostRoses said...

La Gringa, you were so lucky to see one in your yard. And you're right, according to the range map they shouldn't be in La Cieba. But as someone said, "Birds don't read range maps!" Actually a storm or some occurence like that could have caused the bird to wander out of its range and you were the lucky recipient! They really are a marvelous looking bird.

Boxwood Cottage said...

Lovely! You know that I'm a bird lover too! My neighbor has a doorbell that sounds like singing birds. I like that!

LostRoses said...

Oh Carol, I'd love that doorbell! I bet they don't sell them here, I'll have to look on eBay. I know you are a bird lover too and I love to look at your site!