Friday, June 30, 2006

ONE OF THE BOURBONS


I'd rather have a beer but when it comes to roses, I can do a Bourbon, in this case Zephirine Drouhin. The photo at the left is the one growing on an arbor outside my back door. This is how they look grown in semi-shade. The photo below (from the Web) is presumably how they look when grown in full sun as any rose prefers. Hey, I'm happy with what I have. I really get a kick out of the fact that there are no thorns on Zephirine, which is the only reason to grow it on an arbor I pass through 20 times a day.



I also like that Agatha Christie had Hercule Poirot solve one of his mysteries because of the clue of the thornless rose (the suspect couldn't have gotten a scratch from the rose as he claimed.)

I can't remember the title of that one. But I do remember "How does your garden grow?" on TV which opens with Poirot at the Chelsea Flower Show where a new rose is being named after him. An old woman slips a packet of seeds containing a cryptic note into Poirot's pocket, which eventually leads him to grubbing around in her garden for clues to her subsequent death. I do like to see gardens prominently featured in films. It's kind of a bonus in case the film isn't any good. What the heck, some movies I see just for the lush settings and background, who cares about the storyline? Obviously, I didn't pay $9 to see them either. Check your local library for the latest DVDs, free.

4 comments:

Sigruns German Garden said...

Wonderful rose-photos! I also have a lot in my garden!

Sigrun

LostRoses said...

Thanks Sigrun, your roses are fabulous, especially Brother Cadfael. That was worth waiting for. It reminds me of my lost Bibi Maizoon!

Boxwood Cottage said...

I love the Zephirine Drouhin and want it too! It's a wonderful old rose and your arbor looks splendid!

Thank you for your nice comments on my blog! I'ts always a pleasure to get to know a fellow gardener! :D

Glafo said...

The episode is called Sad Cypress