Sunday, December 14, 2014

Signs of snow and Christmas

I like to read decorating blogs to see how out of touch I am. Right now they're all showing their winter mantels. Here's mine.

What's different about my mantel is that I don't change it. It's my winter, spring, summer, and fall mantel. It's suitable for all Colorado seasons except summer and then I'm out in the garden anyway. If I should happen to notice it in the summer heat the sight of the snow-tipped branches makes me feel slightly cooler. Once in awhile I dust it, too.

The very summery chaise with its big pink and rose floral design gets a furry shrug for winter. Nice and cozy for TV watching and book reading. Easy to whip off when the warm breezes blow again.

If you've been reading my blog for awhile now you know I have a humongous Christmas village that lives in the basement. One of my Adorable Grandchildren has been helping me put it all away so some work can be done down there. But I couldn't celebrate the season without at least a part of a village so I grabbed a few houses and made them the centerpiece of my dining room table.

Behind that is the hutch with all my seashell stuff. It's year-round too. So I stuck some juniper and spruce branches from my trees into the mix to make it blend in. It will be very ouchy to remove.
Back in the living room, here's a tree. Undecorated by choice. I don't want to have to put all those ornaments away in January. Easy-peasy.
And another snow-tipped tree mirrored by the snowfall outdoors.
I am attracted to shiny. Shiny pillow, shiny pointy tree.
And more shiny next to a minimally decorated tree. With a little leopard thrown in for good measure.
Outside, the Bushtits heard there was snow coming and mobbed the suet feeder. They must have seen the snowbirds arriving (Juncos) as they've been here all week. A sure sign of snow.

 

3 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Yes- Colorado can display snow just about year round. Everything looks pretty and festive with just some minor additions on your part. I think it is all just lovely---from the throw to the shiny pillow to the unadorned trees. Love it- xo Diana

Tamera Beardsley said...

Such a wonderful cozy ambiance you have created! Just perfect for the holiday season!

Sending the happiest of holiday wishes to you and yours!

Chronica Domus said...

Hello,

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog, which is how I found yours. Your place looks utterly charming, warm, and cozy decked out for the holidays. I did laugh just a little when comparing it to my spartan efforts, but truly, I could just sit on your comfy sofa and chairs and stare out of your window while being distracted by your festive tree all at the same time.